Maybe you have a short story or a poem to share. Or perhaps an essay or an interview piece. You might be a marketing person for a show or event or festival and want us to promote it.
*** If you’re submitting press releases or details regarding shows/events, go to: 2. Do you accept press releases?
1. Here’s what you need to know FIRST.
- Eksentrika does not own copyright or claim ownership to any of the submissions. Ownership and copyright belong to the creator(s) of the piece alone.
- We welcome opinion pieces, essays, listicles, reviews, comics strips on issues and matters related to the arts and creative realm. Poems are posted every Mondays and short stories are posted every Fridays. Thursdays are usually reserved for features either Ista and me have been slogging on for the entire week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are for event organizers who want to promote their events. We do however reserve the right to switch around posting schedules.
- Since we operate on a shoe string budget, as of now we only accept submissions on a complimentary basis. We’re working on this currently.
- We recommend write-ups to be between 300 to 2,000 words. Please do include many images, videos and credit the photographers (except poems and short stories as we usually will source out for images ourselves).
- If the piece had been published elsewhere please obtain approval from the editor/owner of the platform FIRST prior to submitting to us. Do include a link with full name of the platform for crediting purposes because some of the website owners/editors can be quite anal about these sort of things.
- Views, opinions, and expressions are of the creator(s) alone. These views, opinions, and expressions do not represent the views of Eksentrika.
- Submitted stuff will remain on Eksentrika until the day the internet ceases to exist and they can only be removed upon the request of the creator alone and no one else.
- Submitted pieces can always be reprinted or republished elsewhere provided the creator gives his/her permission FIRST. Credit to Eksentrika for being the first, second, 69th, or last to publish the author’s piece is not really necessary or mandatory. Though coffee will be on us if you ever do that.
- We only accept Word Document submissions. PDFs are a pain to copy and paste into our system.
*** If you’re not submitting promotional materials, scroll straight to: 5. Submit now!
2. Do you accept press releases?
No, we don’t entertain press releases because of these reasons:
- They’re boring.
- Journalists/writers don’t actually read them let alone open them. Trust me, we were journos.
- They’re primitive, archaic, wordy and at times spammy.
- Did we mention that they’re boring?
On the bright side, we welcome cleverly crafted content pertaining to your show/event. Here’s a taste of what actual good content marketing for an event is like.
Due to our extremely busy schedule (you have no idea), we will not be able to write these content for you.
We’ll gladly supply ideas and brainstorm if you need suggestions and guidance because we’re pretty good at it.
And yes, we will edit and beautify the stuff you send us. Creative freedom is all yours, so go crazy!
3. Here’s what you can send us instead.
3. A personal experience/story
4. A witty news piece
5. An educative yet fun write-up on a specific topic
All of the above content should and must tie in with your show/event. Listicles are highly recommended because they’re fun, easiest to write, require less thinking and yet are the most effective due to their nature to go viral (and also because people love these sort of things for some weird reason).
Do include show/event dates, time, location and links to tickets. If it is a free event, please send us a Facebook event link.
Again, the above must be written by you (or your PR or Marketing minion). Convince yourself (or them) that this is an excellent opportunity to hone their copywriting skills!
4. You’ve got too much on your plate?
It’s alright. We totally get you.
We’ll soon be releasing a weekly roundup of events happening throughout Malaysia which we’ll update every Sundays.
Provide us these then:
1. Show title
2. Type of show
3. Date & location
4. Ticketing website (if it’s a free event, provide us the link to the Facebook event page)
5. High resolution poster of the show
5. Submit now!
If you’re contributing poems, short stories, essays and other write-ups, read this:
- Title the header “Eksentrika Submission: Title of your piece by _____”.
- Include a short bio of yourself (50 to 100 words is preferable) in the body of the email. Feel free to include links to your website/social media pages.
- Please do include an image of yourself. If you’re shy, an illustration would work too.
- Attach your submitted items as Word document files. PDF files will not be accepted.
- Attach images separately. DO NOT INCLUDE THEM IN THE WORD FILE.
Fill ’em up.
P/S: Do give us a couple of weeks to respond as we have so many emails to sift through!
***This page will be updated from time to time. Last updated July 16, 2019.